Pages

Sunday 13 November 2011

Another Advent Idea

Another idea for Advent:
I was thinking of a way of involving all groups in a joint project whilst not 'prescribing' what each group does - the requirements of Group 1 are very different from Group 3!
I thought perhaps we could 'make' a wreath.  I could get some green paper and make a 'provisional' wreath.  Then if I let each group have a pile of 'leaves' - they could add to the wreath each week.  In addition to this, a candle could be added, letting the church know what the focus was in Children's liturgy that week.  From what I can tell - this year the focus for each week of Advent is as follows: (please correct me if I'm wrong!)
Week 1 (27th Nov) - Making time for Jesus - Be ready, be on the watch
Week 2 (4th Dec) - Repent (and change) - Prepare the way
Week 3 (11th Dec) - Be happy - Jesus is coming
Week 4 (18th Dec) - Love
My thinking was that, each group - whatever they are doing, would also be able to 'fill in' at least 1 leaf.  Then when the children come back into church, those chosen could go up to the front and pin their leaves onto the wreath, which would be up at the front of church on a board.  We could also have 1 child - from either group 2 or 3, reading out the message on the candle - and then pin that to the wreath too.
Let me know what you think!
Dawn

4 comments:

  1. Great idea Dawn! I had 3 children feedback in church yesterday (from group 3). I had prepared something for them to read out and let fr Shaun know beforehand. Some really positive reactions about this. Good thing is that more children volunteered to do this.
    Jane and I also managed to encourage both group 2 & 3 to follow the procession of gifts. So there is more of a presence when they return back into church.
    Petra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just another thought, I have some candles that the children might be able to use for adevent. I have used them before and have translated them from Dutch to English. They have some messages on them. I need to go onto a different computer to get hold of them, but will post them on here or e-mail them round. They are however cycle A related.
    Might be good to enlarge them if you decide to use them for the "display" at the front of church.
    Petra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Petra, If you could email me these in advance of next Sunday which is our first Advent I can photocopy/laminate!
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are on the blog under planning resources. I better get to work though, teaching soon.

    ReplyDelete